The UNESCO World Heritage Committee, which gathered at its 39th session held in Bonn (Germany), decided not to include Incan Machu Picchu citadel’s Historic Sanctuary in the list of the "World Heritage in Danger."
This unanimous decision was not even discussed given the progress achieved by the Ministry of Culture of Peru and Cusco's Culture Decentralized Administration (DDCC) in the implementation of UNESCO-issued suggestions, which were aimed at achieving an efficient management and preservation of this world wonder, the sector highlighted.
The information was provided by the head of the DDCC, Ricardo Ruiz, who belonged to the Peruvian delegation that participated in the said session, held from June 28 to July 8.
"There was the feeling that Machu Picchu would be included in this list. However, we conducted an impeccable work to waive the observations by UNESCO, and we carried out technical works jointly with the World Heritage Committee's advisory board. The result is: The agenda's section related to Machu Picchu was not even discussed [...]," he affirmed.
The official indicated the deliberation on the Machu Picchu situation was postponed until 2017. Previously, technical teams from the World Heritage Committee will conduct visits and assess the Sanctuary by the end of 2015 and in 2016.
"During these visits, workshops will be organized, which will gather local, regional and national authorities, as well as Machu Picchu residents, in order to consolidate actions on the implementation of the pending dispositions," Mr. Ruiz told.